- Guide for Using the Asset Management BC Roadmap
The Asset Management BC Roadmap assists organizations to implement asset management practices by leading you through the steps of implementing basic asset management practices using a modular approach.
- Asset Management for Sustainable Service Delivery: A BC Framework
A high-level, systematic approach that supports municipalities in moving toward service, asset and financial stability through an asset management process. Developed to recognize the diversity of BC’s communities.
- Guide to Developing a Municipal Asset Management Policy
The British Columbia Local Government Asset Management Working Group has developed a guide to assist municipalities develop their own asset management policy.
- Alberta’s Asset Management Handbook and Toolkit
This toolkit is designed to kick-start municipalities who are in the early stages of their asset management journey, or to support others with continuous improvement of their asset management programs. The handbook introduces asset management concepts with a focus on implementation for small and mid-sized communities. It includes processes, examples, and a set of practical and editable tools and templates.
- Ontario’s Building Together-Guide for Municipal Asset Management Plans
This guide is part of a toolkit developed to help Ontario municipalities prepare asset management plans and consider all the resources that are available to help address infrastructure needs. The information provided showcases what asset management is and provides real world examples from Ontario.
- Saskatchewan Municipal Asset Management Getting Started Guide was developed in Saskatchewan for Saskatchewan municipalities. Delegates at both the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities and Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association 2017 annual conventions used the guide as an education tool during the asset management workshops. Using this guide will provide you with fundamental information about asset management and how it can be used to help support municipal operations.
The following organizations maintain reference listings of asset management tools and resources.
Asset Management Resources in Canadian Municipalities
- RM of Buckland and Town of Dalmeny Pilot Projects
A presentation by Saskatchewan and VEMAX Management Inc. at the 2010 Canadian Network of Asset Managers (CNAM) conference related to tangible capital asset reporting pilot projects in the Town of Dalmeny and the RM of Buckland focusing on the transition from PSAB PS 3150 compliance to asset management.
- Town of Dalmeny sample asset management plans
- City of Edmonton’s Infrastructure Strategy
Edmonton has been recognized by Canadian, American and international engineering and public administration associations as one of North America's most progressive infrastructure and asset management jurisdictions. It is one of the first Canadian cities to recognize the need for a strategic plan to deal with infrastructure.
Training and Support
Several organizations offer a range of learning activities and events that provide an introduction to asset management and are intended for municipal staff and elected officials:
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia (IPWEA)
- NAMS Canada
- Online Tools
Information to develop asset management plans.
- Training Events
List of upcoming training and other events to develop asset management plans.
- Asset Management Ontario (AMO)
- Council Member’s Toolkit
A guide to help give council insight to what their role is in the process of asset management.
- Asset Management Resources
AMO has developed documents, tools, templates and videos to help Ontario municipalities understand and prepare their asset management plan.